Convenient, recyclable and easy to use are words that would perfectly describe plastic containers. They are an important part of a man’s daily life. You can probably store anything inside plastic containers may it be food, shampoo, drinks, lotions, conditioners, cooking ingredients, liquid soap among others.
Plastic containers have various advantages. Here are some of them.
- Plastic made containers are multifunctional since they come in different shapes and sizes.
- These containers don’t form rusty compounds in the presence of certain liquids; hence, you can store food items in them safely.
- Being durable is one of the main advantages of these containers. They don’t break easily.
- You can easily transport them.
- They are lightweight and waterproof as well. No wonder why carbonated drinks or readymade foods are carried within these containers.
- You can recycle these containers. The recycling process is not as easy as other items but you don’t need to worry about that as long as you hand them to a recycling company. Some of these plastic containers are made of corrugated plastic sheets which can be recycled.
- Retail industry often uses colorful containers to woo the buyers. These look good and easily attract the eyes of a prospect consumer.
- The price factor is important. Plastic made containers are cheaper probably than any other form of containers. Hence, they will definitely not hurt your pocket.
- Plastic containers are safe to use unlike metal containers that can cause injury.
On the other hand, here are the disadvantages of these containers.
- Decomposing these containers is definitely a huge problem. An average container takes more than 500 years to properly decompose and the time period depends on various factors such as climate, landfill acids, type of plastic etc.
- Commonly used plastic containers are not always airtight. Hence, gas and water vapor can get in or out causing contamination of packaged food.
- While carrying several items inside a bag, the plastic containers can get crashed due to presence of other heavy, metal containers.
- Defective containers lack proper consistency and thus heat resistivity is affected. Remember that it is relatively impossible to identify defective containers with bare eyes.
Disposing Plastic Safely
It is extremely important that plastic containers are properly disposed. Recent statistics show that only 20% of the plastic bottles or containers are recycled and the rest 80% are just discarded causing pollution. As a responsible citizen, here are several things that you can do.
- Don’t throw away any plastic container after using it.
- Rather, store it for any future usage.
- You can actually make them as decorative items like vases by shaping and designing them.
- If you don’t want to use it anymore, just store it for the meantime in a separate place. Once you have accumulated enough plastics, give them to plastic recycling companies.
Plastic has definitely become a boon to modern civilization. However, it is the duty of humans to use it properly so that it doesn’t cause any nuisance or problems. Knowing these things will make you more aware of the usage of plastic containers.